Tuesday, June 15, 2010

INTERVIEW WITH DAIN


What's poppin Dain, how you been homie, what's been good with you?

Not much man, just living and working on new tunes.


What have you been workin on?
Well currently I'm working on a new record for a label in Vancouver B.C, Canada. It's still in the early parts but it is coming a long well. Not sure if I'll have any guest features. If you look at my catalog you'll notice I don't do many guest spots.



So for those who don't know, not only do you rap, but you produce as well. When did you getstarted doing both?

Rapping I've been doing since 2003. At first I did not want to make beats. I looked down on those who did both. My theory was this, if I am going to rap, then I will stick with rapping. I felt it was way too many folk trying to do both. I wanted to perfect my writing the best way I could. Then around 2005/6, I started to look for original beats because you can only rock over someone else instrumentals for so long. But the locals (pdx) were charging like 600 and 700 dollars. Not only did I not have the money to afford that, but the beats weren't even worth the asking price. So I saved up money for a few months and got an MPC1000 because it was the cheapest one at the time. I had no clue what I was doing but it all boiled down to this, either pay for wack beats or make my own wack beats. Clearly I chose to make my own.


If you had to choose between rapping/producing, do you think that you could choose?

Honestly?! Yes, I'd choose rapping. Sure there are a lot of rappers in the world. But not nearly half of them put out quality music. It's definitely enough beat makers with nice sounding material. I'd just have to find someone who would believe in me and work on an album lol.


You have thousands of posts on rapmusic.com, how long have they been posted on that site?

LOL, man I've been on rapmusic since October of 2002. My original name was "supremEmcee"
hahaha. Corny as all hell, but I thought it was just the dopest name. Its really not that difficult to get a lot of posts on that site. Especially back in the day. You could have a simple convo with someone and that could be 50 posts in only 20 minutes or so. And for a long long time I was on rapmusic everyday faithfully lol. Shout out to Jeff by the way, he's been running that site since 1999!


So I heard you just recently moved to Vancouver, how you likin it out here so far?
Its temporary. But I guess it isn't that bad. To be honest, there's nothing to do lol. All I see are old folk in my neighborhood and Russians. Don't be fooled though, this is certainly not my final stop (sorry vancouverans).


For those who don't know, you are a big Kobe Bryant fan. Why do you think that Lakers are going to win the championship this year?
Yes, I am VERY much a Kobe fan. And I feel the Lakers will win this year for the same reason I think they'll win it every year. Because Kobe makes those men work hard. Now, how well that translate during the game is one thing. But you can always bet that Kobe will let them know when they are messing up and vice
versa. That team has a great chemistry when they are all on one accord.


Could you name your top 5 all time rappers? If not, don't stress.

But of course. In no order; Black Thought, Mos Def, Redman, Jay-Z and Biggie


Now is the time to plug any upcoming shows, projects, or events you are working on to let people know what is to come

Well I'm doing the Neck Brace tomorrow (June 16, 2010) at the Someday Lounge with Exile, DaveNotti, Theory Hazit, DJ Flip Flop and Xperiment. Should be a nice evening. Projects wise, only the album for Wandering Worx (whattup Canada!) and that's it. I was suppose to do an EP but some things happened and unfortunately I'm not able to do so. That's it really.


Good lookin on stoppin through to do an interview with me homie.

No problem thun!


Any last words for the fans/viewers?

Yes, if you are a rapper, start learning how to make beats. Believe me, it'll save you money. Also, if you do not like Kobe Bryant then you're in denial. He is the closest thing we're gonna get to Jordan for a very very very very VERY long time (no, lebron wont come close).

No comments:

Post a Comment