Friday, June 25, 2010

INTERVIEW WITH DIRTBAG DAN

What up Dirtbag Dan? Introduce yourself further!

Ladies and Gents, boy and galls, this is the one and only Dirtbag Dan of the mighty Counter Productive Crew out of beautiful San Jose, CA. Or As I like to call it "The Zae Baby... Arrrhhggg"

You just got back from Hawaii and battling Osna. How did you like it out there?

Hawaii was nothing like I thought it would be. Cool as all shit, don't get me wrong, but not what I thought. Its a real inside culture. Meaning they aint really feeling outsiders. Definitely the most hostile audience I've ever performed for. At one point someone said, "kill that houle". I think I earned their respect. Its all about respecting the soil. No matter where you go.

You’ve travelled a lot recently to battle, where would you say has the most intense battle scene?

There all a little different. Hawaii was all about the home team. I can dig it. Oz was on some major love and respect right from the gate. Everyone there is happy to be a part of this whole thing. In England the fans were pumped. All our (Myself and Madness) merch sold before it hit the table. A lot of autographs and pictures. Someone even stole my hat during my battle. I'd have to say though, after all my travels, its really a toss up between The Bay and Toronto. I think we are consistently a larger audience with regard to views and demographic, but they have a huge core audience of die hard fans. Either way they are both the most knowledgeable of all the fans throughout. Meaning they get the references to other battles and inside jokes a lot of random viewers miss.

A break from battle questions, what have you been doing in the studio? Anything in the works?

I recently released a self titled album with my crew (Counter Productive). We had a record release party on 04/08 this year as an homage to our city. It will be available on iTunes coinciding with the release of my battle with Thesaurus (TBA). Abel Abilities is currently on tour with the homie General Populus and Ichy the Killer is the DJ for all 43 dates of The Vans Warped Tour w/GrintimeNow/Rolling Rockers. I'm gonna join him out there for a few performances and at least one battle. I think the plan is to get a mixtape done between now and Grizzlemania

2. The homie Skylar G recently procured a new facility in the Zae so as soon as I get this next battle out of the way, its on.

Would you still keep the name if you shaved the beard?

The name was never a choice... the great ones never are.

You are a top tier battler, who do you think are your biggest challenges?

I've had a lot of Wars, a few massacres, and a couple fun ones. I'm always my biggest challenge. If I feel like I'm on, I'm a fucking world beater. I really think I can beat anyone on any given day. That doesn't mean I think I'm unbeatable. Far from it. I just feel like on this level anyone can get it. Traveling for battles is added pressure. I got the heart of a fucking champion in me. Pressure makes diamonds baby!

Soul Khan and you have been teaming up for 2 on 2’s; Is it harder to

prepare for 2 on 2’s than it is 1 vs 1?

Hahahaha... prepare? Soul Khan lives in New York. I live in the Zae. We talk on the phone, put together a few bars, and watch it go. I think every time at least one of us had a 1 on 1 battle that day. We are both very loud and present. It works out. Me and Mad kill together too, but Critical will always be a better suit for him. They have that long time battle chemistry. You can fuck around in a 2 on 2. Never in a 1 on 1.

Who are some artists you’ve got rocking on your playlist on the regular?

That Lynch Hung, Dinner and a Movie is off the chain. That new Yukmouth is on point. Jacka is killing 'em out here. Sometimes I put on 112's Anywhere and just do Zane's verse in the mirror... hahaha, nah. I knock the range from Sizzla to Slayer, but thats what I been knocking lately.


Yukmouth did a video the ways to beat you in a battle, what do you think about it? Do you agree with his tips to beat you?

Haha... Yuk's that dude. That shit killed me. Really though, the one time I shaved I did so much damage that it was basically called cheating. I hate not having a beard. It makes me feel weak. So.. yah he's right.

And for those who aren’t familiar with this HYPERLINK http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqhyYV15DFw (Skip to 3:10)

What’s it like to be undefeated (In Grindtime)? Not many people have that record!

Not undefeated... Lost my 3rd battle to Sahtyre. In retrospect, probably not the smartest decision I've made with regards to accepting battles. I think it was good to lose early for me. I learned a lot from it. I do however have the best over all record (current 8 and 1).

Do you believe all of your wins in Grindtime are legitimate?

I mean legitimate in the sense that they were judged by 5, impartial, competent judges, Yes. Either way it aint on me to decide who wins my battles. Some of the ones that people feel most "offended" by are my best work. That tends to get overlooked. Fact of the matter is it aint a fist fight. Its opinion in the end. I know that a lot of the time the camera fails to capture the whole picture. It is what it is.

What is a rematch you’d be down for the most?

Of course Saht. But if anyone want to get some redemption of their own... Lets go bitches.

With all these different battle leagues popping up world wide, where do you want to go and battle the most and who is the guy you’re gunning for in that league?

I'll battle ANYONE! I'm not one of those dudes who is gunning for Con or Iron. I could give a shit. I would ROAST 90% of those so called "street" rappers with the greatest of ease, Con included. I wanna battle in EVERY english speaking league in the WORLD. I'm pretty fucking close. Its up to the match makers to put it together. I've spoken with the dudes at FlipTop Battles in The Philippines. That would be fucking retarded ill. I'm ready to set up "The Thrilla in Manilla 2011". I wanna battle in Scotland and Ireland as well. I'm sure I'll make the trio next year. And URL if they're around and actually have an opponent who isn't scared. Thats gonna be the mark I leave on this shit. Most traveled. Most battle tested. LEAST SCARED!

What’s your goal for 2010?

Man... I just wanted to get out of the country a little. That turned to a lot. I'm just gonna get another solo project out and watch it go.

Plug your info for the readers so they can come find you for beard stylin tips!!

Hit me on twitter @DirtbagDan408 and check out the music @ www.cpkrew.com and www.youtube.com/user/counterproductiveTV We got MEDIA!

That’s whats up bro, if you got anything left to say the floor is open!

I love my family, I love my City, I love to compete, I WAS BUILT FOR THIS SHIT!

No comments:

Post a Comment